Saturday, August 3, 2013

Famous Failures

Good afternoon everyone, thanks for stopping by my blog! I have a very interesting topic I'd like to write about today: failure. There has been countless times I haven't succeeded at something I've wanted to do; whether it was because someone told me I wasn't good enough and got in the way or I got in my own way. But, either way there's ALWAYS going to be critics in your life. I once read somewhere that you are your worst critic. Now, I don't know if I really believe that but I do know that criticism hurts. Whether it's from you or from someone that you barley know. I decided to dedicate this blog post to extremely successful people who have been harshly criticized and have overcome the odds. Every single one of these people have inspired me and I hope they have the same effect on you.



Steven Spielberg was rejected from his dream school, the University of Southern California, three times. He sought out education elsewhere and later dropped out to be a director. If, today, you read his bio on IMDB.com here's what you'll see, " Undoubtedly one of the most influential film personalities in the history of film, Steven Spielberg is perhaps Hollywood's best known director and one of the wealthiest filmmakers in the world."
Marilyn Monroe's first contract with Columbia Pictures expired because they told her she wasn't pretty or talented enough to be an actress. She is now one of the most known idols, models, actresses and sex symbols in the world today.
Vera Wang failed to make the U.S. Olympic figure-skating team. Then she became an editor at Vogue and was passed over for the editor-in-chief position. She began designing wedding gowns at 40 and today is the premier designer in the business, with a multi-billion dollar industry.
One of my personal favorite success stories, Walt Disney. He was was fired by a newspaper editor because he "lacked imagination and had no good ideas." Several more of his businesses failed before the premiere of his movie Snow White. Today, most childhoods wouldn't be the same without his ideas. If he were alive today, he would be worth $36 billion dollars.
Albert Einstein didn't speak until age four and didn't read until age seven. His teachers labeled him "slow" and "mentally handicapped." But Einstein just had a different way of thinking. He later won the Nobel prize in physics.
Oprah Winfrey experienced considerable hardship during her childhood, saying she was raped at age nine and became pregnant at 14; her son died in infancy. She was so poor she claimed her only pet was a cockroach living in her house. Winfrey often wore dresses made of potato sacks, for which the local children made fun of her. Oprah was fired from her television reporting job because they told her she wasn't fit to be on screen. But Winfrey rebounded and became the undisputed queen of television talk shows. Oh, and, she's also a billionaire.
Dr. Seuss' first book was rejected by 27 different publishers. He's now the most popular children's book author ever.
J.K. Rowling was unemployed, divorced and raising a daughter on social security while writing the first Harry Potter novel. She is now internationally renowned for her 7 book Harry Potter series and is the first person to become a billionaire from writing. 
Stephen King was initially so frustrated with his first novel, Carrie that he threw it in the trash. King's wife found the manuscript in the trash and took it out. To date his 49 novels have sold 350 million copies.
He may have made himself a household name, but in 1954 Elvis Presley was still a nobody. After only one performance he was fired by the manager of the Grand Ole Opry with Jimmy Denny telling him 'You ain't goin' nowhere, son. You ought to go back to drivin' a truck.'
Hillary, of Lady Antebellum, auditioned twice for American Idol and was rejected both times, 'I never even got to see the judges. I literally performed for the production assistants and the interns and I just didn't make it.' All those Grammys will show 'em!


The people listed above have so much drive and determination that it's impossible to not be inspired by the obstacles they overcame. I also have a short video of some "famous failures" some I have listed above but others haven't been written about. 




There's no doubt that this is one of my favorite blogs out of the ones I've written so far. Each story means a lot and is very influential. I really hope you enjoyed this blog and I hope you have a great weekend!



No comments: