Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Attention All College Freshman!

A few days ago, I got asked to write a blog on college essentials and advise for incoming freshman; which is such a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?

I decided that I would start with the advise part of the blog since it would consist of a lot of writing.

I had a ton of questions that I wish I would've asked before leaving for college and I faced a lot of things that I wasn't prepared for. I'm not going to lie, I was TERRIFIED to start college. I was also a little frustrated because I was already a freshman in high school and now I had to start all over as a freshman again; however, college is very different than high school. For example, you're living on your own, completely on your own. You will have to cook, clean and decide when you want to do your homework and study because there will not be anyone breathing down your neck telling you to do those things.

Starting with food, I would definitely learn some quick recipes that you can whip together before or after class. When I was going away to school I didn't even think about cooking, it didn't cross my mind, I just figured I would eat whatever I could find and whatever was quick; which is something you DO NOT want to do. Take a day to sit with your parents, or Google some easy recipes, and learn learn learn. You will ruin your body if you do not eat healthy. You will gain weight and all of the unhealthy food will run your body down and make you extremely tired; which isn't good because you need all the energy you can get in college!

Another important thing
is to make sure that you make time for yourself. College is extremely important and you want to work as hard as you possibly can; but you're important, too. If you don't make some time for extra curricular activities, hobbies, or anything else that interests you, you will be miserable. And you want to look back and remember your college experience as a good one.

A big thing most people tend to be worried about in college is making friends and I'm here to put your worrying to rest because meeting friends in college is a breeze! You're not the only "new" person at the school, there's a bunch of other freshman who feel the exact same way as you do and want to make new friends, too.Which is why having a roommate is such a great thing! Whenever you find out who your roommate is (it usually happens during the summer time) Facebook request them and start getting to know each other! It will make you a lot less nervous knowing that you know someone going into your first day of school.

The last piece of advise that I have is.. you're going to school to become more knowledgeable in the field that you want to pursue. While it's very important to have fun, it's more important to stay grounded and remember that you're paying a very large sum of money to get your degree; and when you get out of college you want to be able to apply all of the things you learned in college to your job. Therefore, you have to pay attention, study and succeed.

So, apply yourself as much as you can, have fun, meet some great people and experience a new (very important) chapter of your life! Good luck!

Before you leave, here are some things you need!

I found this GREAT list from Dorm Smart .. It's a great website revolving college dorm rooms! I will post their checklist for college below but they have a lot of other great stuff on their website so check it out!












Not everything on this checklist is a necessity and you will not need everything. Narrow the list down to what you'd like to have and start your shopping! Before I left for college I got all of my groceries, cleaning supplies .. etc .. from SAM's Club, they had the best deals for food and I barley spent any money!

I hope you enjoyed today's blog post! Later on in the week I plan doing a blog about inexpensive dorm decorations, comforters and other fun college things! So, be sure to check back! I hope you have a great Tuesday and I hope your college experience is as great as it possibly could be!


If you have any other questions, comments or concerns about college.. feel free to comment below or email me at briannaonabudget@gmail.com and I'd be happy to answer!

No comments: